Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Yay! Founding Farmers has a Tyson's Corner location!

It's not often Hubs and I go to a restaurant soon after it opens, particularly one that has recently been named as one of the "New Restaurants to Try." So the fact we tried it in advanced to this Washingtonian's list is pretty cool in my head. 

Hubs and I are really big fans of the farm-to-table concept and Founding Farmers is one of those places that ranks high up on our list. It's one of the first places we think of whenever we venture into DC. However, being suburbanites in VA, trekking into the Capital isn't always appealing. When we heard that Founding Farmers opened up a location in near by Tyson's Corner, the restaurant went towards the top of our "places to go" list.  

Left to Right: Optimal Wit, Kolsch 151, Farmhouse, Vienna lager
Decision #1: Appetizer?  Normally, I want to try "all the things" when I go into a restaurant and have the appetite to do so. And it's a rarity that I don't force Hubs to get an appetizer. But this visit I was feeling a little less famished. Instead of getting raw oysters, devil-ish eggs, or blue cheese bacon dates, I decided to get a liquid appetizer. True to the local concept, all of the beers on the menu are from Virginia. Both Hubs and I got the Beer Flight, he chose his four and I went with the "Dealer's Choice" - where the bar tender or the waiter/waitress will select from their beer list. I was very satisfied with the beers that I got. 
Decision #2: Main Course I had a really hard time making a decision, having so little stomach space for all of the great foods that were on the menu. I narrowed my choices down to the chicken dishes and asked our waitress for a recommendation. She suggested the Spicy Fried Chicken and Jefferson Doughnut.

Oh. Man. Was. That. Good.

Before I start, I have a confession to make, I am terrible when it comes to eating fried chicken - I normally will eat a few bites with the breading, then peel it off and eat just the chicken. Not the case. This is perhaps one of the best fried chickens I've had. The breading was crunchy and peppery - so good that I ate all of it. The meat was moist and flavorful. Before we started eating, I made the decision that I was going to take one of the pieces home, but kept picking at it after I finished the first one. The mac and cheese was gooey and just oh-so-yummy (I also took part of that home too). The green beans were perfectly cooked, crisp and well-seasoned. And then, there's the Jefferson doughnut. Basically, I didn't need to get dessert because it came with my meal. The dough was savory and the vanilla filling and glaze gave it the perfect amount of sweetness. If we were going to get a dessert, it would have been another one of those.

So, Hubs was jealous of my meal. He said that it was the best thing ordered between the two of us - and mine cost way less than his. If you can't think of anything else to get when there, I recommend the Spicy Chicken and Jefferson Doughnut.




No comments:

Post a Comment