Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Brunch with the girls at Barrel & Bushel

Mrs. K, Dr. Black, ADP, and me
I love these ladies! We lived together at VT during the early part of my Ph.D. years and had all sorts of shenanigans - Weekly Food Network inspired dinners, TRPH, Man Wall, Big Foot Tests. Admittedly, we don't get together as much as we like. But our last meet up we went to some fabulous breakfast over at Barrel & Bushel at Tyson's.

After pursing the breakfast menu, we were at a loss of what to get... everything on the menu sounded delicious. But after a few recommendations from our server, here's what we got.


Crusty Bread and Ricotta (Me) Under the mound of figs was a creamy fresh ricotta. Paired with some season grilled bread, this dish was nice and light. Simplicity at its best.
Avocado Toast (Dr. Black) I stole a bit of this one. It's very tasty and makes me want to improve on the egg and avocado breakfast that I sometimes make for myself. 
Grilled Cheese Eggs Benedict (Mrs. K) This looked tasty, and the description by the Washingtonian makes me wish I got it too.
Sabra Pastrami Hash (ADP) ADP recounted a time that she made up breakfast with pastrami, because .... why not? She and Chef Dan definitely have similar thoughts because pastrami was on the menu for this hash. 
Bourbon French Toast (all) The name of this dish hides the fact that this is basically a pan fried Nutella sandwich with a side of butter and syrup. And it's DELICIOUS!! We split it and it make for the perfect "dessert" to our awesome breakfast. 
While we were dining, we noticed that there was an event being set up in the court yard outside of the B&B. Little did we know that the same day we decided to have brunch, we'd also be able to participate in a in a burger challenge. We didn't have enough stomach space to fully participate, but the burgers that we did get to try were flavorful and made it really hard to pick a "favorite."

Would I go again? Hands down yes! The cuisine is the local Americana food hubs and I often have at our "go-to" places. Plus, they have a lunch & dinner menu and an entire refrigerated wall full of libations to try. I have a feeling that I'll be back soon. 














No comments:

Post a Comment