Friday, July 17, 2015

Southern Comfort on a Rainy Day

A few weeks back, my mom-in-law came up to the DC area for the Smithsonian Folklife Festival.  While she, hubs, and I were excited for the festival, we weren't excited about the cold rain that hit the DC area on that Saturday.  Since the weather dampened our plans, we decided to go to the Mosaic District for a showing of Inside Out and a late brunch at Gypsy Soul.

This wasn't the first time Hubs visited Chef R.J. Coopers restaurant.  We visited earlier in the spring after our friends, the Taylors, recommended it. We liked it so much that we immediately put it on our list of "go-to" places, that is when we aren't trying new-to-us restaurants.

Unlike the brunch with the my college roommates, I didn't take pictures of everyone's dish.  But, everything was so good that we were all part of the clean plate club. ;-)

Starters: Deviled Eggs
Who doesn't like deviled eggs? Well, in truth I do know someone who doesn't - but I always remind him that he's missing out. Hubs and I had these the first time we came by and we enjoyed them so much that we had to get them again.  And of course they were delicious.








Chicken Liver and Waffles No lie, when I think Southern breakfast, chicken and waffles is one of the items that come to mind.  But liver?  It piqued my culinary curiosity.  I happen to like liver. Especially a well prepared liver dish. And this one met exceeded that expectation. The meat was tasty and didn’t have the mineral-flavor and grittiness that can be associated with offal.  The breading was light and crispy, but didn’t feel oily.  The waffles were soft and not too sweet.  And the mushroom and gravy that topped the dish gave it an extra meaty flavor. Another CPC-experience indeed!  And I was more than sufficiently stuffed.

Overall, this brunch experience was a nice diversion from the rain that happened outside. And writing about it today makes me want to head back to have some more of Gypsy Soul’s southern breakfast.  Will we go again? Of course!  This Mosic District restaurant is great for any time of day.


Below are some pictures of dishes that Hubs and I got from the first time we visited Gypsy Soul this past spring.

Tuna Tartar
Fried Chicken 
Broiled Whole fish over potatoes








No comments:

Post a Comment