Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Finally got to Toki Underground

I’ll admit I’m getting on the ramen bandwagon a bit late.  I first heard about Toki Underground from a coworker who raved about the food.  Because of that, I knew it was a place to try because she’s a bigger foodie than I am.  I think a couple of reasons why we haven’t gone until recently is it’s Northeast, an area Hubs and I don’t frequent, and there’s often a long wait.  I’m more apt to go to a place in DC if I can get a reservation and luckily, there is a small window Toki Underground has for reservations, which hubs and I were able to get the night before. 

My first thoughts about the place is it’s has really neat décor and it’s a bit cramped. We were seated at a bar next to the window and were practically (if not literally) touching elbows with our fellow diners.  While both Yelp and Washingtonian rated Toki Underground as moderately priced, Hubs and I spent quite a bit since we got drinks, appetizers, ramen, and dessert.  

Drink and appetizers  I enjoy whiskey cocktails, though I should be more specific and say that I enjoy bourbon cocktails.  But, I’m a bit pickier about drinks with Scotch whiskey because I’m not too keen on peaty flavors.  I ordered the Toki Monster, not realizing that there was Scotch in the drink.  However, the little bit of pork belly that came with the cocktail was the perfect compliment to the smoke given by the Scotch.  This would definitely be a drink I’d go back to.

Hubs and I were pretty hungry and ended up getting two sets of appetizers, the pork dumplings (fried) and the fried chicken steam buns, both of which were delicious! I would go back to Toki Underground just for these appetizers.

Toki Monster
Pork Dumplings
Chicken Steam Buns














Toki Classic Ramen
Ramen  Of course we couldn’t have done to Toki Underground with out having some of Ramen.  I ordered the Toki Classic and Hubs got the Red Miso.  He also got a little Endorphine sauce on the side.  Both had a lvery meaty and flavorful broth.  The Red Miso broth had an added miso flavor, but was similar to the Classic broth.  The Endorphine sauce was a great add on, and wasn’t too spicy for me (I’m a spice wuss). Hubs also ate up all the baby kale that was in the soup, which is a rarity since kale is typically a veggie Hubs avoids.  

Chocolate Chip Cookies, Milk, and a hint of Miso Butter
Dessert  Who doesn’t like fresh baked-to-order chocolate chip cookies? While I was probably too full to, we went ahead and got some. I think fresh out of the oven is when they’re the best, and the neat surprise was the miso butter that came with them. The miso butter gave the cookies a hint of salty nuttiness that complemented the sweet chocolaty cookies.


All in all, it was a great meal and would be worth coming back (and maybe even wait in line for if we forget to make a reservation). It also started a desire to find a place that serves up a good ramen that is closer to home.

So....Let the search begin!









No comments:

Post a Comment